Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Does any specific attribute, quality or skill distinguish you from everyone else? How did you develop this attribute?

In a world of uncertainties and distractions, the greatest anguish for people seems to be finding their place in the greater picture of life. We spend a lifetime acquiring and cultivating skills that enable us to reach that greater picture.  I, Otilia Bujor, pledge to Love. Love encompasses all my amazement at this wonderful world we live in as well as its extraordinary people. I wish to leave a legacy of love and contribute to the progress and wellbeing of the world in a meaningful way. Finally, my hope is to build a family of my own and convey this loving message to posterity through my children.  Though it is my core attribute, the ability to love is not something I can take much credit for, nor is it something I made efforts to achieve. It occurred naturally and it was nurtured by the amazing people who raised me. My greatest skill is the ability to leave my comfort zone in order to follow my dream, in spite of setbacks. That requires having the courage to face excruciating growing pain and fear. It means making great efforts to recover from every blow and carry on. Perseverance and persistence are important.
I believe that love, charity and the path to progress start at home. At 14, I assumed the challenge to be one of the main providers for my sisters and myself when we lost our parents. At 17, I started working for Italian companies in my home town of Tulcea, Romania. I became the pioneer, the leader and role model for my family.  I was the first to leave the comfort of home, of town and even my country.  At 20, I left Romania and went to work in Dubai UAE to improve my life standards. I worked myself into a position where I could grow professionally and be able to counsel and provide for my sisters. I constantly pursued higher education and eventually made enough money to afford it.
There were many things I was attracted to as a child but all of them became unattainable when I lost my parents.  At that point I tried listening to my calling and I was deafened by the monstrous screams of fear and despair. I could hear nothing and I could see only darkness in my world. I became overwhelmingly preoccupied with survival, finding food and clothes to even dream about becoming an artist, a ballerina, opera singer, a writer or an interpreter. But I never gave up on myself or on those who believed in me. I promised myself that I would find my way and inevitably stood again every time I took a blow.  Due to my talent for languages I landed a job in tourism and hospitality where I worked for about eight years.  I simultaneously completed my education in Business and Tourism. I felt that the field wasn’t right for me so I summoned the courage to leave it and opted for advertising and marketing, where I worked for another five years. I chose the field because it seemed a good outlet to make use of my innate creativity. I grew somewhat disillusioned with the field when I realized that I could not find a justification for manipulating people into buying products they didn’t need.
In my quest for Love I was blessed to meet a person who inspired me beyond my imagination. When I met Miguel I experienced an epiphany, but I never imagined its impact. I was flabbergasted at the realization that I met the proverbial “One”, the person that would change my life forever. I believed that I had found romantic love, and that we would build a family together, something I almost gave up on. Little did I know that this man would be the enabler of my actualization as a person.  I had the courage to leave my comfort zone and everything I knew to follow him to the USA. I left Dubai, my career, my possessions, my friends and even my family to be next to him. In truth, I left all the distractions that were clouding my vision from seeing what is truly important for a meaningful existence.
I had the courage to take this chance and now I am full of hope and joy at the dream of becoming a nurse and truly giving love and care to the world. I know it won’t be very easy, but nothing worthwhile ever is. This is yet another opportunity to show what I am made of.  
Otilia Bujor

No comments:

Post a Comment